a.k.a. Healthy Nutella Scone
These scones are so freakin’ good! Close your eyes and imagine Nutella in a fluffy, warm and healthy form…that’s what these are! No kidding! I came up with these last year when I was missing my good old favorite Swiss-childhood combo of hazelnut and chocolate. For some reason, that combo hasn’t really hit the U.S. properly! (Still hoping). Here it’s all about peanut butter and chocolate (also amazing of course). So this is my way to satisfying that beloved childhood flavor combination. Of course, I wanted them to be healthy, so I took one of my older scone recipes and just tweaked it. After some work, I managed to make it into what my friends are now calling the ‘Healthy Nutella Scone’.
Healthy Treat or a Healthy Quick Breakfast Grab
The other reason I adore these scones is that they’re the perfect little 4 pm pick me up with a nice cup of tea. You know that time of the day right? When you don’t want to overeat because you don’t want to spoil your dinner, but you just gotta have something! Well, these scones are it! Pop one in the toaster oven for about 2 minutes and you’re done. The chocolate will get all warm and gooey and the hazelnut flavor becomes more pronounced too! Just beware that the gooey chocolate does not make for a great in the car treat (I speak from experience). So if you’re going to grab it as a quick breakfast, better leave it room temperature, so the chocolate doesn’t melt all over you in the car.
My other Paleo Friendly Scones
If you’re loving this scone but want a different flavor profile to play around with; I also have my Almond Flour Lemon, Vanilla Scones Recipe already up on the site. I also have my Coconut-Chocolate Scones (Bounty candy bar inspired) coming soon. And if you’re loving these and want more nut-flour scone variations
Recipe Share + Comment
Below you'll find the printable version of this recipe. Whether it's by print, email, tweet, pin or post...be sure to share this recipe with your friends and family. When posting be sure to tag Taste of Good so I can share in your win with you.
Also, don't forget to let me know how you liked this recipe! Don't be shy! Scroll down to the comment section and tell me all about it. I love hearing feedback from my peeps so I can feel the love, make some tweaks, or help out.
Hazelnut Chocolate SconesPrint Pin
- 350 g Hazelnut Meal, Hazelnut Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup Healthy Oil, I use either coconut oil, Avocado Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, or Grapeseed Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your oven to 300 Degrees F and position your oven rack in the middle height slot in the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Depending on the size of your baking sheet you might need a second one.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer combine the nut flour, the salt, and the baking soda. Give it a slight stir to evenly distribute everything.
- In a separate small bowl crack the eggs and whisk them slightly.
- Add the maple syrup, healthy oil (if using coconut oil make sure you're warmed it a bit to make it liquid but do not pour hot oil into eggs it'll mess up the texture) and vanilla extract to the eggs and stir a bit to marry the ingredients.
- Add your egg mixture to the big bowl with the nut four mixture and mix until it is a well-combined dough.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix just a bit so that they are evenly distributed.
- Using a 14 measuring scoop, drop the batter in 1/4 cup dollops on the baking sheet. Be sure to leave just a little room for them to grow.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until they are golden brown on top and fluffy on the inside. Insert a toothpick into the center to check for doneness. The toothpick should come out dry and clean (unless you managed to hit a chocolate chip then you'll just get melted chocolate on it...try again)
- Let the scones cool down on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes before enjoying.