Cooked Kale Recipe – A Real Taste of Good Eats
My sauteed kale with onions and carrots is a great healthy kale recipe introduction. So if you (or someone you love) have not tried Kale yet this just might be the recipe for you. If you have tried Kale, but did not like it you might be pleasantly surprised this Kale. Cooked Kale is gentler in flavor, the cooking softens it and reduces the natural bitterness. Pairing it with the carrots and onions gives some natural sweetness and adds tons of nutrition too.
Healthy Kale Recipe
Kale is such a powerhouse for a healthy diet so I like to incorporate it wherever I can. Of course, I love Kale salad! Once you’ve saved this recipe be sure to check out my Zesty Italian Kale Salad. What I also love about this recipe is the combination of the carrots, the kale, and the healthy fat. Carrots and Kale are loaded with fat-soluble vitamins, which means that they need fat to be absorbed efficiently. So this combination is a vitamin powerhouse! If you want to get to know kale a little better, read my Kale Introduction Post. You’ll learn all about the health benefits of kale, what to watch out for and what to be mindful of when choosing and cooking with kale.
Delicious Kale for Easy Leftovers
I always make tons because love eating the left-overs. Especially as a healthy snack if I’m at home and craving something in the afternoon. I just put some in a small bowl and top it with red wine vinegar, which just brightens it up even more and reduces the bitterness further. It also works great for a packed lunch, just pop it in a mason jar and add a splash of red wine vinegar and you’re good to go! It’s like a refreshing hug in a bowl that leaves you feeling light and nourished and ready to conquer anything.
Recipe Share + Comment
Below you'll find the printable version of this recipe. Whether it's by print, email, tweet, pin or post...be sure to share this recipe with your friends and family. When posting be sure to tag Taste of Good so I can share in your win with you.
Also, don't forget to let me know how you liked this recipe! Don't be shy! Scroll down to the comment section and tell me all about it. I love hearing feedback from my peeps so I can feel the love, make some tweaks, or help out.
Sauteed Kale with Onion and CarrotPrint Pin
- 2-3 tablespoons Ghee, or other healthy cooking fat such as Coconut Oil or Avocado Oil
- 2 medium Yellow Onion, Cut in half lengthwise and the sliced to create half circles
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 6 Carrots, Peeled and cut into bitesize pieces
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes, optional
- 1 cup Broth, Can be any low-sodium broth - vegetable, chicken stock, or some kind of bone broth.
- 2 bunches Kale, Cleaned and roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onions and salt to the pot. Saute stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes (or until translucent).
- Add the carrots and Red Pepper Flakes (if using) and saute for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth to the pot and stir to deglaze the pot and make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom.
- Gently stir the kale under the veggies. It will seem like too much at first but they wilt quickly. Do it in batches if needed, as soon as you have one batch in start with the next.
- Once all the kale is in cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the broth has reduced down to nearly nothing.
- Pull the pot off the heat and add in the lemon juice. Give it a good and then taste for seasoning.
- Serve either on a plate or in a bowl. You can top with more lemon juice if desired or my favorite...a good splash of red wine vinegar.