Cooked Kale for the Win
Hungry for a healthy kale recipe that is also delicious? My sautéed kale with onions and carrots is a great, healthy kale recipe introduction. So if you (or someone you love) have not tried kale yet, this might be the recipe for you. If you have tried kale but did not like it, you might be pleasantly surprised by this healthy sauteed kale recipe. Cooked kale is gentler in flavor; the cooking softens the kale and reduces the natural bitterness. Pairing it with carrots and onions gives some natural sweetness and adds tons of nutrition.
Don't forget to snap a beauty shot, share it on Instagram! Tag + mention @taste.of.good
Healthy Kale Recipe
Kale is such a powerhouse for a healthy diet, so I like to incorporate it wherever I can. Of course, I love Kale salad! Once you’ve saved this healthy kale recipe, be sure to check out my Lemon Kale Salad. What I also love about this recipe is the combination of carrots, kale, and healthy fat. Carrots and kale are loaded with fat-soluble vitamins, which means the vitamins need fat to be absorbed efficiently by your body. So this combination is a healthy kale nutrition powerhouse! If you loved this recipe and are looking for more cooked kale recipes be sure to check out my Sunshine Bowl Soup, my Panang Curry Soup, and Vegan White Chili. They all have Kale in them and are incredibly delicious and nutritious.
Delicious Kale for Easy Leftovers
I always make tons of this recipe because I love eating the leftovers. Especially as a healthy snack if I’m at home and craving something in the afternoon. I just put some in a small bowl and top it with red wine vinegar, brightening the flavors. It also works great for a packed lunch, pop it in a mason jar and add a splash of red wine vinegar and you’re good to go! I’m telling you, this healthy kale recipe is a win-win-win. It is fast, easy, inexpensive, crowd-pleaser, and makes excellent leftovers wait; that’s a win-win-win-win-win (you get the point). It’s like a refreshing hug in a bowl that leaves you feeling light and nourished and ready to conquer anything.
Sauteed Kale with Onion and CarrotPrint Recipe
Tried this recipe? Rate it by clicking on the stars
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil, such as coconut oil or avocado oil, you can also use butter or ghee
- 2 medium white onions, cut in half lengthwise and sliced to create half circles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into bitesize pieces
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, optional for a little heat
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bunches kale, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onions and salt to the pot. Saute, occasionally stirring for about 8 minutes (or until softened and slightly translucent).
- Add the carrots and red pepper flakes (if using) and saute for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth to the pot and stir to deglaze the pot, and make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom.
- Gently stir the kale under the veggies. It will seem like too much at first, but the kale wilts quickly. Do it in batches if needed, as soon as you have one batch in start with the next.
- Once all the kale is in, cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the broth has reduced down to nearly nothing.
- Pull the pot off the heat and add in the lemon juice. Give it a good stir and then taste for seasoning.
- Serve either on a plate or in a bowl. You can top with more lemon juice if desired, or my favorite, a good splash of red wine vinegar.
Fantastic surprise! We served it with spaghettini with a dust of parmesan – super way to eat kale and not feel dutiful 🙂