Breaking down the Fears
The Real Fear
The Imagined Fear
The Power of the Fear Acronym
Future Events Appearing Real
False Evidence Appearing Real
Sit with those for a minute and see which of them fits better to your current fear or struggle. Future Events Appearing Real or False Evidence Appearing Real? I find that one of these two always fits and what I love about them is that they help me pull the fear out of the future where it feels big and scary and impossible to manage.
Finding Clarity and Calm
I pull it into the present and look at it closely asking myself all sorts of questions. Here are some examples of helpful questions to help tear apart the fear so you can hopefully minimize it or even find a lesson in it.
- Is this happening right now? Or…am I scared about something in the future?
- What real hard evidence is there that this is 100% true?
- Where did this fear come from? (was there a bad experience? or did someone implant this fear in me through their story?)
- How does this fear serve me? (Example: Is it showing that something matters more to me than I thought? or Is it showing me that I have insecurities that I might want to address further?)
- What do I have control over? How could I change the outcome that I am fearful of?
- What safety lines can I put in place for myself to help with this fear? Is there anything I can do or ask others to do that can make a little difference?
Afterward, I feel that I have a much clearer understanding. What once was a jumbled mess of fear is now much clearer lines of understanding and appreciation. Then calm sets in, and I get very clear on what I can do to turn those worries into warriors.
This is just my way, but I’m sure you’ll tweak it and make it fit your needs. I hope that this has given you some little aha! moments into how you could deal with some of your fears. Also, be sure to check out my Free PDF Worksheets that you can download. Most of them will be helpful when tackling your fears and turning them into actions.
Share some Good